1. Get started
Use these resources to learn more about SharePoint 2010:
- Developer Overview: A video that shows you some of the great new features for building custom applications and components in SharePoint 2010.
- Getting Started videos: A series of videos that lets you take advantage of a 10-module e-learning course at no cost! This course is for .NET developers who are just starting out in SharePoint and includes hands-on labs and code samples.
2. Get ready
To prepare your development environment for SharePoint 2010:
- Get Microsoft Visual Studio 2010. Visual Studio 2010 includes 14 project templates for SharePoint development. It also includes visual Web Part and packaging designers, and connects with Team Foundation Server for Application Lifecycle Management (ALM).
- Get Microsoft SharePoint Designer 2010. With SharePoint Designer 2010, you can configure SharePoint sites, create list schema, add design elements and build workflow models. What’s more, SharePoint Designer and Visual Studio work well together: You can use Visual Studio-based workflow activities in SharePoint Designer, and you can export sites from SharePoint Designer to Visual Studio.
- Upgrade your Visual Studio 2008 extensions for SharePoint (VSeWSS) projects to the Visual Studio 2010 format using the VSeWSS Project Upgrade Tool.
3. Upgrade your SharePoint 2007 skills
Get ready to work in SharePoint 2010 by using the training modules for SharePoint 2007 developers.
4. Get trained and certified with Microsoft Official Curriculum
Take a look at the SharePoint 2010 Guide to the Microsoft Official Curriculum. You can get two new certifications for SharePoint 2010 and related courseware:
- TECHNOLOGY SPECIALIST: DEVELOPING ON SHAREPOINT 2010. This five-day, instructor-led course is for developers with six months or more of .NET development experience. The course covers what you need to know to be a member of a SharePoint development team using Visual Studio 2010. It also prepares you for the related Microsoft Official Curriculum exam.
- DEVELOPING ON SHAREPOINT 2010 PROFESSIONAL. This five-day, instructor-led course is for development team leads who already have passed the Developing on SharePoint 2010 technical specialist exam. The course covers key topics in leading SharePoint projects, such as determining scope and choosing technologies, applying best practices, configuring the development environment, using developer features and debugging code. It also prepares you for the related Microsoft Official Curriculum exam.
5. Get help
Tap into community support and resources for SharePoint 2010:
6. Stay up-to-date
Get the most current information with the SharePoint Team Blog.