Thanks to PFE legend Lisa Guthrie for this post.
Is there a way to extract the MySite data created on the WSS_Content database in a standalone install and move this to a separate content database then use a new web application to host MySite?
- Make sure you have this WSS hotfix installed: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/939188/ (Note: This fix is also included in WSSv3 SP1)
- Create a new, empty content database in your OLD web application. Let’s call it MySitesContentDB.
- Run the following command to enumerate all the site collections in your default content database:
stsadm –o enumsites –url http://oldservername –databasename dev1_SITE > MySites.xml
- Open the MySites.xml file that is created in Notepad or another text editor. You’ll see a <Site> entry for every site in the content database. Remove any entries that refer to sites that are not MySites. You should be left with a list of all of your MySites. Save the file.
- Run the following command to move all of your MySites from the default content database to the new content database:
stsadm –o mergecontentdbs –url http://oldservername –sourcedatabasename dev1_SITE -destinationdatabasename MySitesContentDB –operation 3 –filename MySites.xml
- Create a NEW web application to host your MySites.
- Remove MySitesContentDB from the list of content databases for the OLD web application.
- Add MySitesContentDB to the list of content databases for the NEW web application.
- Update the SSP so that it uses the NEW web application as the MySite web application.
- Test and make sure everything looks good.